Thursday, November 21, 2013

Tracker KWINN

C'mon without...c'mon within...you've not seen nothing like the mighty Kwinn!

Or, something to that effect. Anyway, you may have heard that old song before. Supposedly it was part of the inspiration to create this character from the GI Joe comics back in the 80s. He's Kwinn or Tracker Kwinn.


He was originally a comics-only character in the old GI Joe comics. Me...I was a cartoon baby. I never read the comics as a kid. Maybe I would have, if I had easier access to a store. Anyway, this guy apparently is a big favorite among fans of the comic book mythos. He's some kind of Eskimo tracker and mercenary...yet has his own honor code. He's kinda like a bad guy, but not really...one of those fringe characters. He's just a really skilled guy who does whatever job he's paid to do. Admittedly, since I did not grow up reading the Joe comics, I have no major connection to this character. However...just because I'm a huge GI Joe fan, I sorta picked up on a lot of the comic book mythos over the years, even though I never really read them. WHile I don't have a burning passion for the character, I'm still glad such a popular "obscure" character and comic-only guy made the cut as an official action figure! Truth be told, we got a Kwinn in one of the vintage-style comic packs in the mid 2000s. That version was moreso in winter garb. Well, now we get Kwinn in all his modern Joe sculpt glory!

As a toy, he's pretty "real-world". He's not a Joe or Cobra. Take away his trademark weasel skull necklace, and one might mistake him for...uh, well...something that isn't GI Joe. He came in the movie line's "super wave" and is one of the non-movie, classic figures. Dead-on in his traditional appearance. He comes with a ton of gear as opposed to some big-ass accessory or goofy weapon. You get all sorts of guns, some melee weapons of names I'm not sure of (assumed to be Eskimo in origin), a backpack, rolls of ammo, and a nice trap!

While he may not have the sci-fi flair of the Cobras or the mostly military feel of the Joes, Kwinn the tracker is a nice middle ground. He's a comic character brought to life via fan outcry. I respect that heavily. Shows the power of what a few thousand open mouths and busy typing fingers can get done! I may not share the connection with the character as much as the average Joe fan, but I still rank this figure as very top notch!

No comments:

Post a Comment