Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Tomland Figures



I'm just startin' to get into these...for real! Yep...I've known about these figures for some time and had always admired them. I've tried to obtain these for cheap, but have come to the conclusion that will not be happening. Anyway...these guys are (or were) made by a company in the 70s called Tomland...usually known as Starroid Raiders, but also go by other handles. These neat little guys were released on many cardbacks, in different styles. Most shared this same body style. Other versions have glowing heads and such. There were also versions with weird limbs and more detailed bodies. They are your basic cheap crapola figures. Of course, they have a modern day fanbase which makes obtaining 'em for their true cheap-ass price a pipe dream...well, it depends, I guess! They are considered to be Star Wars knock offs by most. Basically a bunch of weird alien dudes...basic articulation...came with numerous weapons (which I do not have). These are my first two. The purple lizard/fish head guy is called WAG and the orange-headed fella is called TIOR. Each has a nice, cheesy little sticker on its chest...too classic!

Now, I've looked into these for years...been off and on about trying to pursue 'em...unofficially gave up a few times, and have recently just decided I had to have at least a few of them. I know many exist with many variations. I really do have to re-research these guys! They are a lot cheaper than the vintage Star Wars figures. The plastic feels cheap, the joints are kinda tight, the heads are hollow vinyl and not solid plastic. I have yet to hold a weapon, so who knows what they are like. I have heard there are repro accessories being made by someone or someones...but they still probably cost a lot. I had come to the conclusion that I should expect to pay (grudgingly) around twenty bucks for a loose figure sans accessories...BUT, my Tomland figure journey is just beginning. Sadly, never owned 'em as a kid (too young), but they just plain bring out the childish glow of wonder in you...don't they?

No comments:

Post a Comment